Wednesday 29 February 2012

Fibre and food

The weather has been a little disappointing here the last couple of days, we had been forecast nice sunshine but it has been more cloudy than anticipated.  I was hoping to get out with the camera and get some lovely shots of the alpacas but instead I have been taking knitwear photos.  The ones I gave up on last week!

As many of you will already know, we only use the fleece from our own herd (no alpacas for meat here), that what makes it extra special, not only is is super fine and soft, sustainable with hardly any clothes miles as some of it has hand spun here on the farm it is also fully traceable.

Here are a few of the latest Barnacre creations, some hand spun, some commercially spun and all hand knitted. 



We are already thinking about shearing, we have our shear booked and I'm planning the yarn blends for 2012.  Most of our yarn is processed as individual animals but we do combine some if the animals have a connection.  For example this year I hope to blend Chiquita with the son and daughter Minimus and Piccolina.

Whilst on the subject of Minimus I'm pleased to say that his leg is healing nicely, he is still in the shed, sorry Rosemary, should I say barn although hopefully not for too much longer.  I don't want to put him out too soon and it get infected so I'd rather air on the side of caution.  I think he is rather enjoying the copious amounts of hay and treats he's getting actually.

We have had a delivery of Camelibra and Fibregest today, so stocks are replenished if anyone is in need of feed.  As usual despite me stipulating 'no large lorry access' a big wagon arrived and had nowhere to turn round so hand a long reverse back down our drive.

No comments: