Monday 27 June 2011

Abandoned by mum

Sometimes nature does some really strange things, I'm sure it has it's reasons but it's hard to understand sometimes.

Just over a week ago now you may recall we had swallow chicks in our trailer and despite us taking the trailer away for a whole day the loyal parents returned to the nest to care for their offspring.  Sadly something has gone wrong.  I hadn't noticed the swooping in and out of the trailer yesterday so I decided this afternoon I would have a look to make sure all was well; it wasn't.

The nest was empty, two of the chicks were on the trailer floor, but not under the nest so I'm sure they hadn't fallen out and the third baby is nowhere to be found.  I wonder what made them give up after being so loyal a week ago?

I now need to remove the nest and thoroughly disinfect the trailer before we use it at the weekend for the alpacas.

On a much brighter note, my mum is fast becoming the sock expert, check out her latest fabulous socks working their way into our online store.

4 comments:

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

That's a lovely sock Debbie, but I think you'll sell more if you try offering them in pairs - ;-)

Rosemary said...

That's a really lovely sock - but, as Apple Vale says - a pair would be better!
I had to give up on socks as they took so long!

Cotswold Vale Alpacas said...

Great sock, not tried socks myself yet, building up to them! That's such a shame about the swallows chicks, so unusual for birds to abandon their next without something extreme happening, perhaps another bird has been in and tried to steal the chicks.

Ginnie

Chris said...

Hi Debbie from 'sunny' Nottingham!

Great blog I've found here. I gonna end up an Alpaca expert!

Very sexy looking socks there too Debbie.