Wednesday 13 June 2012

His and Hers

The morning started off with glorious sunshine which made a nice change, all the cria coats were off and the littlies were getting some sun on their backs.

My main job for the day was sewing 2 acres of grass seed by hand!  I harrowed the area first to try and break it up a bit because it seems to go from wet to rock hard within hours.  Harrowing also meant that it pulled up all sorts of rubble and builders junk.  I found all sorts, including a full curved drain slab which Northern Structures used in our barn - that will be handy for the drive!

The poor hens are now shut in for a little while until the seed starts to take or they will eat the lot within days and grass seed isn't cheap.  I'm hoping that despite the wind and what appeared to me to be a small amount  of seed (the suppliers told me how much I needed) the lush green grass will soon replace the brown barren land very soon.

Whilst on the subject of hens, check out our his and hers eggs, bet you can't guess which one was mine!
Here's Paul's in a pint jug.. 
Tonight before I put all the cria coats back on I weighed everyone, with the exception of Kirkley who escaped!  All the cria are doing well and I had a good fleece rummage, I've got to be honest I'd not looked closely at the two oldest boys Leonidas and Thor for a while and boy was I impressed.  The character and style in the fleeces is fabulous, both different but very nice and Thor's is so bright whilst Leonidas has a long staple for only 5 weeks fleece.

The two boys have some mighty impressive genetics, Leonidas has Peruvian Spartacus and Jolimont Commisario whilst Thor has Jolimont Commisario, Gianmarco, Sculptor & Encantador in his pedigree.  Exciting stuff!

2 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Is that a Dinasor's Egg ! you have there....plenty to share between both of you, sounds like you need feeding up Debbie with all that work ! .....Jayne

Shirley said...

Thats an eye-wateringly big egg!