Sunday 8 February 2009

Hay Show and hair cuts.

This morning I did a bit of top knot trimming, two of our finest fleeced animals were struggling to see. Legend of Spartacus, one of our elite white studs has a fantastic fleece which grows rapidly and despite giving him a trim not that long ago his eyes were disappearing under a blanket of fleece.

Chiquita, our little fabulous fawn girl with a super fine fleece (17.6 micron), was the other in need of a trim. She has the most adorable long eyelashes which I didn't want to cut so I had to be very careful.

Both Chiquita and Legend were very well behaved and happily stud whilst I snipped away. They both went straight back the the haylage without a second thought for their improved vision.

This afternoon we went off to the annual Hay Show at Forestburngate to top up on our hay supplies. Hay is obviously is short supply this year as it was much more expensive this year. We came home with 10 bales from the auction, including one of Alan Thompson's (my farmer friend) which I'd managed to sniff out!

6 comments:

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Hay has gotten very expensive on this side of the water also. Everyone started planting corn since it was worth more. Hopefully, the prices will start declining this year.

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Hi Debbie,

Pitty you are short of hay, and I live so far away, we have extra left of last year, its lovely hay, but a bit heavy to post !!..Jayne

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

I don't think the postie would appreciate carrying a bale or two of hay! He's good and regularly comes hunting for me in the field to give me a parcel but I think that would be pushing my luck a bit too far don't you :-)

The weather was so poor here last summer lots of the farmeers struggled to get it baled. They were complaining yesterday that stocks of straw were low too.

Lucy said...

Give us a pic or two of your efforts!!!

Alpaca Granny said...

I'm really curious to know what you feel is expensive. I pay $4 a bale that he stacks in the barn for me. Don't know how to do the exchange rate.
I buy about 1000 bales in the summer and, like now, worry about running out.

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

I've taken some photos Lucy so will post them in a mo!

Maple, the bales cost me the equivalent of just over $6.8 yesterday, which was for the small ones. The big round bales were going for $44.7. That was having to collect and stack them myself too!