Monday 1 June 2009

Alpaca dentistry

I've had another busy day today, I don't actually remember the last time I didn't have a busy day come to think of it!

I have cleaned all the stud / weanlings fields as everyone was treated to fresh grass after the shearing. All resting paddocks have now been cleaned, cut and harrowed and are hopefully going to recover and have a growth spurt very soon.

We have a very special visitor coming soon so we want to get things prepared - more on this exciting announcement will follow on a later post!

I thought I would share with you a couple of movies Paul took of James Dixon doing a spot of dentistry on golden Guinea and Imala. Both of them needed a little bit of a trim of their teeth. Golden Guinea also had his bottom set of fighting teeth so they were also removed, although Paul didn't manage to catch that bit.




4 comments:

Perry Wheeler said...

I was interested in the tooth trimmers. They are about to be banned here for reasons we don't understand, it is the quickest and safest way we know of. You don't want to know what is being suggested as an alternative. I think we might use banned trimmers here.

Sarah and Perry

Debbie, Barnacre Alpacas said...

That's crazy, is the alternative that bad!

This way is so quick the animals don't even realise what is going on.

Patou Alpacas said...

Having learned to trim teeth and then done a few sets myself this year I feel unusually qualified to give an opinion on this one. James Dixon sheared our herd and trimmed a few sets of teeth here.

I have to say I was much happier with the results of my efforts. I think with the Australian built for purpose trimmer there is a greater chance of chipping or damaging a tooth. I used a grinder but without the 'bite' bit that goes in the mouth.
Slower my way but I think a better finish.

Lucy said...

It does look quick, which is good, but not that precise - how can he tell what he's cutting? I haven;t done it myself so might be talking nonsense. We;ll have to get some of ours done so am taking note!!