Wednesday 6 January 2010

Not one, but two....

I can't believe we woke to even more snow this morning, it has seriously gone beyond a joke now, I am sick to the back teeth of it.

It was so bad today Paul finally admitted defeat and had to work from home. Sadly this didn't mean that I got any assistance with the morning feed routine, he had conference calls to attend to!

Two and a half hours later everyone had been fed, had fresh hay and all the water troughs had been filled by hand. I was absolutely exhausted and it was almost time for the lunchtime feed!

Here are the girls waiting for their water top up. As you can see I had walked myself a little trench by this point which makes life slightly easier. Sadly this is a daily occurrence at the minute.

It has been snowing on and off all day and as I type it is absolutely throwing it down with more of the white stuff.

I had a lovely chat with Jayne at Zanzibah this evening, we were comparing snow stories.

On a positive note I had two eggs today from the chickens!!! Can you believe it, I've not had an egg for months and this morning I herd one of them singing that 'I've just laid an egg' song. I had to dig my way in and there were two, in fact there were three but one was broken.

Sadly two of the hens have frozen to death in this cold snap so this was a great sign. They had been give extra insulation and more straw and so far it seems to have done the trick.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the hens Debbie. We have also have had some eggs in the last few days. All frozen with cracks! However, the hens seem to be all present at least. Only minus 4 today. Actually commenced blog: www.beckbrowalpacas.blogspot.com. only a year later than discussed!

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

I hope that the rest of your chickens are ok in this weather...nice to see some snowy pictures from you !....Jayne

Apple Vale Alpacas said...

Our hens have kept up production, (only -8deg. here) and even our sole Aylesbury duck hasn't missed a day. Have you seen the water carrier that fits in a wheel-barrow? I think I saw it on www.alpacacare.co.uk, called H2Go.

janet said...

Sorry to hear you have more snow. There has to be an end to it soon.Wish i was there to help you.Hope your cold is soon better. xxx