Saturday 21 November 2009

A nasty job day

Today was the day, that to be honest I have been putting off; weaning day! It is one of those necessary nasty jobs required for every alpaca breeder.

Poor little mites had no idea what was coming, except Duke who seemed to have developed some sixth sense and had been glued to his mums side all morning.

Firstly though, we went off to another farm sale this morning in the hope of finding an ATV trailer. Yet again it went for more than our limit, although this time we were only one bid out (we had already gone £40 over our limit mind you).

I think Paul got a bit carried away at the thought of having to carry the rather large Midnight Star away from her mum across the field. Thankfully farmer Alan we happy to lend us his sheep taxi to move the, now weanling's this afternoon.

Despite the initial panic by the youngsters they seem to have settled away from their mums. I think the rather nice lush green grass helps to take their mind off things. Duke was the only one that didn't want any tea and is rather vocal. To be honest this comes as no surprise because he is a real mummy's boy. I thought Palm-Olive would kick up a fuss but she has been remarkably calm.

The mums seem to be fine too, Veruschka was wondering round looking like she had lost something but I'm not quite sure she knew what it was she had lost. Bless her she is not the brightest alpaca.

I will let you know how their first night away from mum has gone tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Apart from illness I find this the hardest part of the job. I think I cry more than the cria, I just feel so cruel.

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Ah....its a hard job, mind you when you are under attack from Minstrel it takes you mind off the sadness of the task and you are concentrating on the survival aspect !!!....she should come with a dangerous animal warning !!....last year I diced with death...I'm sure....what a job I had...not looking forward to next year......mmmm...Jayne

Perry Wheeler said...

Aye, it's a tough job. I find that a good placid wether is real help here, they can be excellent childminders. The youngsters cope well, it's the mum's that always seem to have the toughest time

Lucy said...

We don't do it, as you may know, so I manage to avoid the sadness - not sure I could cope anyhow!!! Glad they've settled on the new grass.