Monday 12 April 2010

Pressures of a prolapse

I had a well prepared job list for today and up until 10am things were on track, but then things went a little pear shaped.

I went to check on the sheep, Pepper in particular who is enormous and has been looking like she might lamb for ages now to find something hanging out that shouldn't have been! I had said a couple of days ago that I thought she might prolapse when she was laid down but once she got up all was fine and having never experienced such a problem before I thought maybe I was over reacting. Obviously not.

Pepper wasn't in the slightest bit bothered by the prolapse, in true Pepper style she was still eating! A call to the trusty farmer Alan was needed and yet again he came to my rescue. I knew she needed a harness putting on but how to put things back I was not so sure about, if there was a knack or was it just push or did she need to be lambed.

Thankfully everything went back in ok and with harness fitted she was straight back to eating. I will now have to keep an even closer eye on her. I've got to be honest I'm rather nervous about her lambing now. Here she is sporting a little black and red number.

The main alpaca herd are all enjoying the fresh grass, Chiquita has been stuffing as much grass in every mouthful as is physically possible just in case they have to move on.

Sienna has been flirting at the fence line to Mr Guinea who was getting all exciting. We will be mating her to him shortly, in the meantime they will just have to gaze at each other longingly.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Pepper. Now that is huge! I hope all goes well for her.

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

I hope that all is well for pepper and her..pending..babies...Jayne

Rosemary said...

Pepper looks rather fetching! Hope all goes well for her.