Tuesday 19 April 2011

The race is on

As has been the case for a few weeks now (due to it being birthing season) I was up and out at the crack of dawn, first check on the sheep then round to the alpacas and chickens before dropping off the car for a service today.

Thankfully Margaret picked me up from the garage (well more of a farm) and took me back so I could get on with some outside jobs, which was great in the sunshine.  The girls field cleaning has been slipping a bit of late so was in need of a thorough clean.  It was so hot I could have done with my shorts on. 

I had a break from poo picking at lunchtime and did the lambing round, there were a few new lambs just born including a set of triplets that had been born right near the gate which one had rolled underneath!  Other that that all was well so after a cup of tea with Margaret and a good chat it was back to the field.

I was greeted by every single alpaca stretched out sunbathing, boys, girls and weanlings absolutely all of them out for the count.  Lualeni was showing off a rather large bag of milk with some big teats for good measure.  She is at 332 days so it looks like she is going to follow in her mums (Blossom)  footsteps and bring down the Barnacre average.  I'm hoping that she hold on until the weekend.

2 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Oh...its getting exciting now..waiting for those babies...sounds like it won't be long now.....before the Barnacre babies arrive......Jayne

Unknown said...

We've got 2 on 365 days and it is exhausting getting up at first light. Hope your girl hangs on until the weekend and I hope our girls don't.