Sunday 16 May 2010

Mothering instints

Thank you for all your comments yesterday, I just love it when I get a comment or two, it just proves that there are people out there reading if nothing else!

Unfortunately Alice is continuing to neglect her mothering duties, despite spending the night shut in the shelter with her new son. Which is the first Gianmarco's Masterpiece cria Rob, we are very pleased with him even at this early stage.

Whilst Paul has been here today we have been restraining Alice and I've been keeping hold of her legs so the cria can latch on. He is an opportunist with a great suck reflex, whilst I was distracting Alice early putting a head collar on, he managed to nip in and get a suck before she realised and sent him packing.

I will try using a towel tomorrow Jayne and see if that helps. She is still shut in with him in the hope that they bond. If anyone has any other suggestions please send them over! I am hoping that when the next girl gives birth Alice will see how it is supposed to be done.

We have yet to name the little chap, who was 9kg born and has miraculously managed to gain a little weight today and is now 9.1kg.

3 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Sounds like the same problms as I had last year with Zienna ! :-( It took about 2 weeks before every body got the hang of things...after I had bought a bag of milk !...typical....Jayne

Patou Alpacas said...

How did I miss your blog over the weekend????
Fantastic news, well done, he looks a little cracker!

Rosemary said...

Congratulations and very well done! He looks wonderful - just catching up as we have been without Internet. Hope Alice is feeding himm by now.