Thursday 29 September 2011

Trip to Hexham Mart

I had planned to go to go to Hexham Mart this morning as it was the hill sheep sale and we will be needing some hill sheep for the top of the hill.  I was hoping to have someone to go with for a spot of moral support even if they wouldn't or couldn't give advice.

Unfortunately Alan, my farmer friend was too busy cutting beans and I couldn't find anyone else to accompany me so off I went on my own with advice, pen, paper and cheque book (just in case).

First job set up an account for the new farm; check. 
Pick up auction catalogue; check.
View a few pens; check.
Find a good seat and observe.......

When I walked into the ring I felt rather out of place and checked to make sure I did only  have one head!  A strange woman walking into a male dominated room obviously doesn't happen very often.

Anyway to cut a long story short I did sit on my hands for the bulk of the sale but did bid on a few lots.  All went for more than I dared to pay, all I kept thinking I could buy a nice alpaca for that!

When the sale came to an end I wished I'd been braver and come away with some, so note to self, be braver next time.

3 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Aye..its a strange world....being a lady !!....in a male dominated environment !!.....Next time...be brave...or just have another look on the Alpaca Seller Website..and buy something....you realy want !........Don't tell Paul, or you could always say...they were special long grazing sheep..with extra leg length !.....Jayne

Rosemary said...

Yes, got to have sheep!
I would not have been able to resist a bid!

Andrew said...

Great set of Blogs. I don't know how you keep it all up. I have the opposite problem at auctions I would have ended up with a massive flock and no doubt some cows , ducks and whatever else wandered into the ring.