Friday 23 January 2009

Mud magnets

We woke this morning to a covering of snow, it came as a bit of a shock when I let the cat out at 5am (!!) when she was desperate to answer a call of nature.

As the day has gone on it has started to thaw so we now have soggy horrible muddy paddocks which are not pleasant at all. I have two alpacas in particular that are what I affectionately call mud magnets and I didn't actually think until I started posting this blog they are actually related.

Our white (well he once was!) stud boy Gianmarco's Masterpiece seems to love to roll in a fresh mole hill the minute one appears, then there is is half sister Angelus who is one of the girls we have for sale. I am not sure what she does but her legs are always filthy, she seems to find a puddle and sit in it; even when you can't find a puddle in the field!

The snow seems to have given Gaussian a bit of an appetite he has happily taken 850ml of goats milk today which is the most he's taken for a few days. I also managed to get some crushed cria pellets into his mouth which he had to swallow unlike the whole ones he has spat out. He seemed happy enough licking his lips so hopefully tomorrow he might try a whole one. I also have so liquid feed to try him with in the morning.

2 comments:

Perry Wheeler said...

And aren't the mud magnets normally the show team on the eve of a show...

Lucy said...

Debbie, yours cannot be as bad as ours. Ours are mud, leaf and hay magnets. White alpacas? No such thing. Browns are far easier to keep....ps we have 2 cats too.