Wednesday 28 July 2010

Weight gains and buttons

Well, as I suspected giving Geena the Oxytocin has had no effect on her milk production. It was worth a try though, we are pretty sure that her mammary glands are not formed properly, as she has never managed to feed a cria fully herself.

She gets milk in her front two teats but the back ones are empty, so at least she has some milk for her baby. Despite mum's lack of milk her baby has gained weight on day one which is a first for Geena, it usually takes me a few days before I can get her cria gaining weight.

He has had four bottles from me today, Genna gets so stressed when you are trying to feed her baby it makes things rather difficult but by this evening she was slightly more relaxed. Hopefully this little chap will be easier to feed than Guassian Geena's previous cria, he never liked the bottle.

Minimus has now outgrown his coat I made last week so I have made him a new one today, hopefully after this one he will fit into the ones I already have, he is 6.3kg now.

Carol and Dave popped round this evening to bring some knitting, collect some poo, see the new babies and bring me some buttons a local woodworker has made. The are fabulous, I love them. We are now thinking very hard what we can use these prototypes for. I will keep you in suspense, you will have to weight until we have used them to see them!

3 comments:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

OOOOOO...your'e being mean !!....glad the babies are doing well !!...Jayne

Rosemary said...

Looking forward to the buttons!
Geena sounds just like our Lina (even the name!).
Glad minimus is doing so well.

oak haven alpacas said...

so sorry the oxytocin didn't help. But glad the cria is gaining.